Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Understanding Fashion: From Business to Culture
Step into the fashion world and study fashion and culture with Chanel and YSL
Curious about how the fashion industry has transformed and shaped Western culture over the last 150 years?
This 4-week course delves into the fashion world and investigates fashion as both a cultural phenomenon and a creative industry.
You’ll explore the interaction between fashion, society and business with top fashion designers and professors from Institut Français de la Mode.
Explore the emergence of fashion trends
Where does fashion actually come from? You’ll start the course by answering this question and learning about modern fashion and its contemporary relevance.
You’ll explore the rise of the fashion industry during the industrial revolution and evaluate how brands inject modernity into their designs. The course features case studies from top fashion designers such as Chanel and Gucci.
Investigate the role of fashion designers and brands
You’ll be thinking about the relationship between fashion and politics, and asking whether fashion designers and brands have the power to be social actors.
You’ll also explore fashion code and the language of fashion, considering whether fashion brands are creative languages.
Understand consumption in the fashion industry
In your final week, you’ll investigate fashion consumption and develop your understanding of how it works as a social marker and identity construct.
You’ll evaluate what it takes to create and develop a fashion collection, and you’ll look at the intersections between trends, seasonality and innovation.
- Fashion and modernity: contemporary relevance, ‘Zeitgeist’, and the desirability of the new.
- Fashion and society: the concept of trends, social distinction and selection, culture and subcultures.
- Fashion as a language: decoding silhouettes, the genre of fashion literature and fashion press.
- Fashion and consumption: fashion and gender, the emergence of ‘lifestyle’, fetishism.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop transdisciplinary knowledge and expertise aimed at understanding the logics of the contemporary fashion field
- Identify the creative models of the different fashion houses and their conception of time
- Explore the trends diffusion models
- Interpret a fashion silhouette
- Explain the construction of consumer behaviour
Who is the course for?
Whether you’re a marketing student intrigued by consumer culture or you’re an experienced fashion professional looking to enhance your knowledge, this course is designed for anyone looking to deepen and specialise their knowledge of the fashion industry.
This course will also be relevant to fashion entrepreneurs who need a holistic view of the industry’s key success factors.
This course is supported by DEFI.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.