Educational Neuroscience: Research-Led Teaching Approaches
Discover the new field of educational neuroscience. Study evidence-based research on the application of neuroscience in learning.
DurationApprox 8 weeks
3-4 hrs per week
CertificatesEarn course CertificatesFind out more
100% onlineLearn at your own paceHow it works
Cost$39/monthFind out more
Discover educational neuroscience and its impact on 21st century education.
Learn about the importance of neuroscience in education
This teaching ExpertTrack introduces you to the basics of neuroscience in learning. You’ll study our uniquely human brain - looking at the central nervous system, the limbic system and the concept of neuroplasticity – and discover what it means for memory and learning in the brain.
Identify the most common neuromyths in education
When it comes to educational neuroscience, it can be hard to separate fact from fiction.
You’ll identify some of the most widely accepted neuromyths within the teaching community. By debunking any false ideas about the brain and learning, you can apply your learnings from this course with confidence.
Improve your understanding of learning and memory formation
Discover the role of social-emotional learning in the classroom and the link between stress and memory. We’ll look at the application of neuroscience in educational theory, focusing on research by Dr Louis Cozolino concerning the evolution of the social brain and ‘Nine things educators need to know about the brain’, you’ll have a better understanding of brain-based learning within different contexts.
Discover how to maximise students’ learning in the classroom as we examine leading-edge research into neuroplasticity
Become a more effective educator with contemporary insights into the brain which will help you develop optimal learning experiences and neuroplasticity activities in the classroom that you can use right away.
Find out how to design lesson plans that improve learning capacity and memory, using the latest research-based teaching strategies emerging from educational neuroscience.
You’ll also look at the practical application of neuroscience research in education and leadership to create optimal learning environments.
Develop your leadership skills as an educator by studying the field of neuroleadership
21st century learning is changing at a rapid pace due to increasing evidence-based research into educational neuroscience (brain science). As educators, we need to capitalise on these new opportunities.
This ExpertTrack teaches you how to apply neuroscience in leadership to create trusting team environments and build a culture of feedback.
Key skills you will learn
- Memory and learning
- Neuroscience in leadership
- Brain-based teaching
- Research-based teaching
- Student engagement
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to...
- Explore important understandings and concepts about the brain
- Demonstrate knowledge of introductory educational neuroscience findings
- Reflect on the significance of compromised learning environments on the social brain and the implication for learning and memory
- Explore processes involved in memory formation, consolidation and retrieval
- Reflect on neuroscientific research concerning memory formation and its application in a range of educational contexts
- Demonstrate knowledge of neuroscientific concepts about learning and memory
- Explore the contemporary research of world-renowned authors in the Psychology Education Neuroscience (PEN) disciplines
- Reflect on the impact that can be made to our neuroplastic brain with learning experiences
- Explore conceptual approaches in educational neuroscience and neuroleadership
This intermediate ExpertTrack is designed for those working within education who have an interest in educational neuroscience. Learners are typically classroom teachers, education assistants, learning designers and academics. However, it’s also suitable for those moving into teaching and/or training to become an educator.
While there are no academic prerequisites for this ExpertTrack, you’ll need to have a basic level of teaching and learning experience. We also recommend that you have some existing experience in planning and delivering lessons in-person and/or online.
Do you want to feel empowered to bring cutting edge research and teaching techniques into any learning environment? This ExpertTrack will give you the knowledge and skills you need to make an impact in the lives of the learners around you.
Whatever your career path, you’ll benefit from developing your understanding of neuroscience in education and how it impacts learning, memory and leadership.
This ExpertTrack will equip you with hugely valuable skills whether you already have some teaching experience, are a student of education, or are involved in education or learning in any way.
ExpertTrack course overview
Orientation to Educational Neuroscience4.8 (293 reviews)
Education is being enhanced and changed by evidence-based findings, find out how to capitalise on these new opportunities.
3 hours per week
- Welcome to the Course
- The Social Brain
- Brain Basics for Educators
- Educational Neuroscience in an Educational Setting
- Social-Emotional Learning
Learning and Memory: Understandings from Educational Neuroscience4.8 (246 reviews)
Become a truly impactful educator by exploring the science of memory formation and its impact on learning.
3 hours per week
- Welcome to the Course
- Understanding the Brain
- Learning and Memory
- Systems and Stages of Memory
- Working Memory
Neuroplasticians and Neuromyths4.9 (73 reviews)
Explore the latest strategies emerging from Educational Neuroscience for educators to consider.
4 hours per week
- Welcome to the Course
- Creating Optimal Learning Experiences
- Principles of Neuroeducation
Neuroleadership and Conceptual Approaches in Educational Neuroscience4.8 (116 reviews)
Explore practical application of neuroscience research in education and leadership.
3 hours per week
- Welcome to the Course
- Neuroleadership Explained
- Neuroleadership in Action
- Week One Summary
- The Role of Neuroscience in Education
- The Impact of Emotion on Learning
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
World-class learning with Central Queensland University
CQUniversity is Australia’s leading regional university.
Our courses are designed alongside industry and many include hands-on, practical learning experiences and project-based learning. Our commitment to making real-world knowledge and skills accessible to all has seen us being awarded global recognition. We are ranked among the top 2% of Universities in the world.
World rankingTop 500Source: QS World University Rankings 2020
Meet your instructors
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps, but you can complete them as quickly or slowly as you like
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
ExpertTracks are a series of online courses designed to help you master new skills in specialist areas. You pay a monthly subscription fee which includes access to all courses within the ExpertTrack, as well as assessments and the final digital certificate.
Each ExpertTrack comes with a 7-day free trial period. You may cancel your subscription at any time and your subscription will automatically cancel when you finish the courses and assessments in your chosen ExpertTrack.
Yes. All of our ExpertTracks come with a 7-day free trial. You may claim one free trial period per ExpertTrack.
You have seven days before you will be charged your first monthly subscription fee. When you join an ExpertTrack you automatically receive a 7-day free trial period. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and no payment will be taken from your account.
Please see our full refund policy here.
No, all of our ExpertTracks consist of fully online courses. This means you can take an ExpertTrack from anywhere in the world.
No. ExpertTracks are designed for you to master new skills in a specialist area. You will earn a digital certificate that proves your learning, but it does not carry accreditation.
If you’re looking for certified or accredited courses, many of our microcredentials offer university credit or professional certification.
Have more questions about ExpertTracks? Read the ExpertTracks FAQs, or contact us.